Description Tribology and Contamination Control specialist
Philips challenges you to use your engineering expertise to model, design and implement some of the world’s most demanding motion control and precision positioning systems for industries such as semiconductor manufacturing and medical imaging. This is executed in an environment with a variety of customers and projects, where own initiative and system thinking are vital for success. Your contributions can range from early customer contacts and project definitions to the ramp-up and sustaining of volume production.
As a Tribology and Contamination Control specialist it is your responsibility to use your knowledge in tribology of materials and particle contamination to develop complex mechatronic systems that operate in a vacuum environment. We challenge you to select materials as well as define and perform tests to contribute to the development of mechatronic systems. Your responsibilities within this role will include:
- Contribute to mechatronic product creation projects and services working closely together with other specialists and designers using your profound knowledge of and several years’ experience with tribology and particle contamination.
- Acquire and carry out tasks and activities within the tribology and particle contamination domain by performing analyses (experimental and numerical), in order to predict the impact on performance, reliability and lifetime. These activities range from feasibility and design studies in the concept phase to the optimization of the desired performance within existing products or systems (including the translation of analysis results into design recommendations).
- Act as a consultant/expert towards our customers (internal and external).
- As an expert within the tribology competence, help building this competence within Philips Innovation Services.
- Expert knowledge in the field of Tribology of materials (friction, bearings, lubrication and wear), and particle contamination control (particle counter, material selection, cleanability).
Philips Innovation Services has a wide range of disciplines and know-how to serve our customers in bringing their innovations to market, as fast and as efficiently as possible. Over 750 colleagues benefit from decades of experience supporting customers in Philips Businesses, Philips Research and hundreds of companies outside Philips.
The Mechatronics department of Philips Innovation Services, with approximately 150 employees, is unique in its system design approach, which has led to many practical solutions for our customers. Think of breakthrough solutions in smooth motion, high accuracy positioning, and mechanical construction in e.g. lithography systems and magnetic levitation stages. We are active in equipment as well as sub-system design, prototyping and testing. Next to that a lot of our mechatronics solutions are applied in consumer products and healthcare systems. You will be working in multi-disciplinary teams of highly skilled technical experts from both Philips Innovation Services and its customers.
- An inspiring work environment that is internationally and multidisciplinary oriented, with a variety of customers and projects.
- A project-based environment where people have both advanced theoretical knowledge and the capability to put that knowledge into practice - fast.
- Extensive opportunities for growth in technical and personal development.
- Stimulating challenges across a wide range of application domains, from developing state-of-the-art lithographic wafer stages, to pioneering the latest implantable medical devices.
- Job satisfaction and the chance to broaden your experience.
We are looking for
To be a successful in this role you have:
- Bachelor, M.Sc. or PhD. in in (Applied) Physics/Materials/Mechanical Engineering specialized in Tribology and/or contamination control.
- Passion for technology, interest in tribology and particle contamination control. Direct professional experience is preferred.
- Solid analytical attitude combined with interest and hands-on attitude for experimental validation
- Thorough theoretical knowledge of, and practical experience with, friction, bearings, lubrication and wear including their impact on products reliability and lifetime.
- Broader knowledge on mechanical design, materials choice, linear guides, coatings and particle contamination control is highly desired.
- Ability to make fast assessments based on simplified methods on concept correctness
- Understanding of product design and mechatronic systems
- You have a customer centric attitude and are flexible and cooperative.
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal English.
- Affinity with the healthcare/medical and/or consumer products domains is preferred.
- The energy, enthusiasm and motivational power and ability to inspire the development of new high precision products for our customers.